how to: ask great interview questions to an employer
Preparing job interview questions to ask your interviewer is just as important as preparing to answer the questions they’ll ask you. Take your time and be thoughtful with your answers and questions. Use good judgment as to how many interview questions to ask, as well. If time feels like it’s flying by and the interviewer is engaged in your discussion, then keep asking questions until you feel it’s time to stop. It’s best to go in with at least three to five questions to ask in an interview and take it from there.
Be authentic when asking and answering interview questions, and you’ll be great. Good luck and don’t forget to tell us how it went!
Interview questions about the setting
- How many children do you currently have in the nursery/how many are you registered for?
- Which room are you recruiting for and how many children can you have in that room?
- Does the nursery offer any training?
- Are there any chances for promotion in the nursery?
- Does the nursery have parent meetings; would I be involved in them?
- What is the single largest problem facing the nursery today?
- What have been the top accomplishments of the setting over the past year?
- What can you tell me about your setting’s plans for the future?
- Can you tell me a bit about the team I would be working with?
Interview questions about your future manager or colleague
- What has your career path looked like?
- How long have you been with the setting?
Interview questions about the job position
- What prompted you to hire for this position?
- How long has the position been open? (If applicable: why has the position been open for so long?)
- What was the individual like who previously held this position?
- Are you looking to hire someone with the skills and experience to do the job out of the gate, or are you open to hiring and training the right candidate for this position?
- What is the work schedule like? Is it flexible, set-in-stone, or are there options?
- In an ideal world, what’s the anticipated start date for this position?
- What’s the timeline for making a decision on this job?